TSMC’s US 5nm fab will be mass-produced in 2024, with a monthly output of 20,000 wafers

According to news on October 18, TSMC’s wafer fab in Phoenix, Arizona, will produce 5nm chips from 2024. The company said that the monthly production capacity will reach 20,000 pieces by then.

As we all know, the current global core shortage problem is still ongoing, and the global wafer manufacturers are actively increasing their production capacity. The every move of the foundry leader TSMC has undoubtedly attracted the attention of many industry professionals. According to TSMC, it will invest $100 billion to accelerate production in the next three years. At present, TSMC has invested US$12 billion to build a 5nm wafer fab in Phoenix, Arizona, and is expected to start mass production in 2024.

According to CNBC, Rick Cassidy, TSMC’s chief strategy officer and CEO of the Arizona project, told the media that the fab’s production capacity will be concentrated on CPUs, GPUs, IPUs, etc. used in smartphones.

As seen in the report, a 4-story building with an area of ​​2.3 million square feet is currently under construction on the site. Tony Chen, TSMC’s technical director, told CNBC: “This is to build a 5nm fab. In fact, it’s a copy of our Taiwan fab. If you want more capacity, you have to build more Fabs, that’s one of the reasons we have a fab in the U.S. Our customers want us in the U.S.. The U.S. government wants us here.”

It is reported that the factory will start producing 5nm chips from 2024, with a monthly output of 20,000 pieces.

For a long time, the market share of US chip manufacturing has continued to decrease. According to the International semiconductor Industry Association (SEMI), Asia accounted for 79% of global chip production in 2020. The U.S. accounted for just 12 percent of global chip production last year, up from 37 percent in 1990.

The landing of TSMC will undoubtedly bring a huge increase to the US chip manufacturing industry. Data shows that TSMC will account for 24% of global semiconductor production in 2020, a further climb from 21% in 2019. According to Capital Economics, TSMC has a whopping 92 percent of the production of the most advanced chips used in the latest iPhones, supercomputers or artificial intelligence (AI) in self-driving cars, while South Korea’s Samsung has a 92 percent share. accounting for the remaining 8%.

The Links:   SKKD100/12 D53TP50D LCD-PART